Sunday, July 25, 2010

Movie #1- Pulp Fiction

Without the aid of Netflix or anything of that sort, obtaining 15 of AFI's "100 Years...100 Movies" selections will probably be costly. I'm sure there'll be some borrowing going on, but in the meantime, I took a bit of birthday money and splurged on a classic I had been meaning to replace since it went a-wanderin' sometime during freshman year of college: Pulp Fiction.

Probably the best-known work of Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction is chock-full of lines oft-quoted in the annals of popular culture, which just so happens to be my specialty. Not to mention perhaps the strongest cast in the 6 Degrees of Separation game this side of the eagerly-anticipated release of The Expendables.
Shoulda been Jules spouting some prophetic shit on the cover...

Anyway, to the movie...I thoroughly enjoyed the formulation of the story, coming and going from different stories that gel at the very end. While I question whether John Travolta was "Oscar good", I will say that the exchanges between Vincent and Jules are some of the most entertainingly philosophical conversations that I can recall; almost reminds me of living with Yvan. Other than the length of the movie, and what I felt was an overrated performance by Uma Thurman, there wasn't much not to like about the movie. I should back up: Uma Thurman's performance was good. Again, I have a qualm with her turning in an Oscar good performance. But that's just me. Looking back at the 1995 Oscars, only the Shawshank Redemption sticks out as a fantastic movie (Forrest Gump is always viewed in a positive, nostalgic light....but life-altering, it is not). Quiz Show sucked, and while I can't comment on Bullets Over Broadway, having not seen it, I can assume the hard-on the Academy has for Woody Allen had a large part in it being considered one of the best of the year.

Anyway, I was happy to cross off #95 on AFI's list, and will try to aim a little higher next time. On that note, I'll leave you with a classic and my favorite part of the movie (a bit cliche, of course):

No comments:

Post a Comment